Saturday, March 6, 2010

In the beginning...

So, yesterday marked the first week of classes for 2010; in fact, the only face-to-face contact time I have for this entire semester. Lucky me!

After a rather traumatic experience with an elective subject last year, I have to say that even though taking this was basically my only option (being semester one), I am actually really glad that I have! For the simple reason being that after four long (albeit, non-consecutive) years as an undergrad student, everything I have learnt so far has finally come together! to form a glorious whole. In other words, all of the material we covered today made perfect sense to me - and I have been able to form easy linkages with some of the key theoretical ideas, to the frameworks and concepts hammered into my skull over the years.

So much for my belief that my head was a total sieve!!

To me, the interpretation of the term 'transient spaces' can be thought of as somewhat of an open-ended void; wherein the user/consumer brings forth their own subjective experiences and beliefs to synthesise meanings from various forms of media content. These 'spaces' are essentially in a constant state of change, much like society is forever evolving, shifting... and not to mention the complex human mind, which - via its interaction with the mediated realm - is also in a state of flux. It therefore is to be expected that at any given time (such as in the event of a national crisis), that the media and its inextricable communities could easily adapt and co-operate with one-another in a way that engendered clear and concise communication.

Though unfortunate in its devastatingly annihilating effects, The 2009 Victorian Bushfires did illustrate arguably the most effective interaction between Community and Media in recent times. It is also particularly fascinating and pertinent to examine, because of the proximity factor between country and city, and how these two geographic locales can be likened to traditional and emerging views about the nature of community itself.

Following the overwhelming response of human generosity that ensued from last year's events, one thing, we know, is certain: the inextinguishable spirit of 'community' itself has yet proven to withstand the ire of mother nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment